What are the teaching topics?
The Fellows Program will utilize the Redeemer Counseling Approach and its view of human nature, the effects of the fall and sin, the human quest to protect and fix the self and the solution of the gospel. This gospel-centered psychotherapy will be integrated into the following topics:
- Introduction to Christian counseling and gospel-centered psychotherapy
- Mind-body connection and neuroscience
- Psychiatric disorders and medication
- Cultural sensitivity in pastoral counseling
- Depression / Anxiety
- Abuse / Trauma
- Marital counseling
- Introduction to addiction
- Gender identity / Sexuality
Skills Training Topics
Each session fellows will spend time learning and practicing counseling techniques that will be useful in pastoral counseling.
- How to conduct a first session
- Assessment and when to refer
- Boundaries of pastoral care
- Practical counseling interview skills (listening, questions, etc)
- Suicide assessment
- How to work with couples
- How to motivate someone who is resistant to treatment
- How to bring the gospel alive in caring for people
- Help in thinking through church policies and approach to care
The monthly sessions will be held on Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (EST).
- September 24, 2020
- October 22, 2020
- December 3, 2020
- January 7, 2021
- January 28, 2021
- February 25, 2021
- March 25, 2021
- April 22, 2021
- May 20, 2021
*Please note that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, some sessions might have to be done remotely online, but the program learning is designed to be done in-person when possible.
What else is expected of participants?
Before you proceed with the application process, please review the expectations below to determine whether the program is right for you.
- You will commit to the full 9-month Fellows Program and will attend each of the monthly Fellows sessions in their entirety. Regular attendance impacts the dynamics of the cohort and is essential to learning the counseling theories and skills that build on each other. Repeated absences from these sessions will be grounds for dismissal from the program even if you give advance notice that you will be absent. Please plan ahead to avoid conflicts with the dates provided.
- You will complete all of the assigned reading before arriving at each session.
- You will also write a reflection paper after each session and will be required to submit a counseling project by the end of the program. This portion of the program will require each fellow to do deep personal and emotional processing.
Tell me about the application process.
Applications for the 2021-2022 cohort will open in early 2021. If you
would like us to contact you when registration opens, please complete
Here are the steps to the application process:
- Complete the Counseling Fellows Program application to tell us more about your background and the counseling needs you face as a pastor. The application deadline is TBD.
- RCS will communicate the admission decision and next steps.
- A $300 deposit to register and hold your spot in the program.
- The $2,700 balance will be due by TBD.
Once the current cohort is full, we will consider applications for the next year's program.
If you still have questions after reading the program description in its entirety, please send us an email at [email protected]